Top 10 Tips for B.Tech CS/IT Students for Their First Job
First job is always a challenge for anyone, and it is not different for B.Tech CS/IT students. The first job is where you learn to apply your knowledge in the real world, try to solve some of the toughest problems faced by modern enterprise businesses, develop a mindset that enables you to work well in teams, and most importantly meet new people who will become your friends and mentors throughout your professional career. I have been working in software development industry for over 10 years now; however, my first job still remains one of my most cherished experiences. In this article I am sharing some tips which I wish someone had told me when I was looking for my first job:
Having a good academic record.
Having a good academic record is a must. You can't expect anyone to believe that you are an expert in the field if you haven't passed your B. Tech CS/IT courses even with average grades. However, don't be discouraged if you find yourself struggling in your first year. Many students fail to get good grades in their first year and end up successfully completing their degree later on by working harder and making the best out of the remaining years.
Being well versed with the subject matter is also very important as it helps one land a job easily without having to go through any interview rounds or tests. If possible, try finishing all of your projects before joining any company so that they can judge your skills based on what they see rather than what they hear about them from others' mouths only!
Choose your subject carefully.
Choosing your subject carefully is one of the most important things you need to do. You should choose a subject that you are interested in and one that you can do well in. Also, it is good if the subject has some importance and scope for growth so that it can become your career later on. You should also select a subject based on its popularity among companies that hire BTech graduates, as this will help you get hired easily even if other factors like a good internship record or having worked at an MNC during college are not favorable.
Selecting Computer Science (CS) or Information Technology (IT) in B. Tech as your major makes sense because these subjects have been very popular among companies across India over the years due to their demand-supply ratio being high enough for companies all over India; hence, there's no shortage of opportunities available if someone graduates from either B. Tech CS/IT courses offered by various colleges/universities across India
Make sure you have a basic understanding of the core computer science subjects.
If you’re a computer science student, it is important to make sure that you have a basic understanding of the core computer science subjects.
The core computer science (B. Tech CS) subjects are data structures and algorithms, operating systems, programming languages, and hardware architecture. These four topics form the foundation of the BCA curriculum in India. Although they may not seem like they will be very useful in real life, they provide an excellent background for your future career as a software engineer or programmer in any industry.
If you haven’t yet studied these subjects at school (or even if you have), there are many websites with free course material available online that can help sharpen your knowledge base before applying for jobs as developers or programmers.
Participate and win in competitions.
Participate in competitions.
Competitions are a great way to build your resume and boost your experience. You will find many online contests that you can participate in, and winning these competitions will help you get scholarships and prizes. You can also network with people who can help you get a good job after college or get good experience in the industry before starting work.
Build a portfolio.
- A portfolio is a collection of your creative or professional work that demonstrates your abilities.
- Use your portfolio to show how you've been solving problems, working with others, and learning new skills.
- You can use any form of media to showcase your portfolio—from slideshows to videos to webpages.
- Make sure you have at least five pieces in the portfolio; for example: a resume, cover letter, project proposals/proposals and links (if available) for each project proposal/project submission document (if applicable).
Get an internship.
Internships are a great way to build your resume, gain experience in the industry and get your first job. It’s one of the most important things that you must do before starting a career.
Internships help you gain hands-on experience which makes it easier for recruiters to hire you when they see all the projects you have worked on. If you don’t have an internship while applying for jobs then they will think that either
- You don’t know anything about any technologies or
- You aren’t interested in working because why else would someone not take up an internship?
Build a network of people who can help you.
You will be surprised to know that how many people you can help or who can help you. It is always good to have an active network of people around you as this will only enhance your B. Tech career in the long run. It is only possible to make great connects through best technical institute.
So, be very sure, to choose the right B. Tech institute for your academic career.
You should not limit yourself to your friends and family members, but try and build a strong network with people from different backgrounds, such as professors and alumni of your college/university, professionals working in related fields etc..
You should also keep yourself updated about what’s happening in the market so that it becomes easier for you to find opportunities when they arise!
Stay up to date with the technology trends.
You should stay up-to-date with the technology trends. The latest technologies, tools and algorithms are being used in the industry. You need to know about them as well so that you can adapt quickly in different situations.
Your knowledge of programming languages in B. Tech CS/ IT will help you get through any interview easily because you’ll be able to talk about any type of programming language and how it works. If a company asks for operating system or hardware knowledge then also try to answer their question related to this topic as much as possible but remember that your main focus should be on what kind of job do they want from you?
Work on communication skills and body language.
- Communication skills are very important in a job interview. You need to be confident and friendly.
- Be polite, attentive and interested in what the interviewer has to say. Try to make eye contact with your interviewer by using good body language such as making gestures or nodding occasionally while listening to them speak or answering them directly when they ask you a question.
- Positive body language is extremely important for any job interview especially if it's going well! Keep smiling throughout the entire process so that your potential employer knows that you're excited about working for them!
- Finally, don't forget about enthusiasm! Your excitement will show through in your voice tone so try talking loudly with enthusiasm at all times during an interview (even when answering difficult questions).
Be well versed with online job portals and apply through them as well.
As a B.Tech CS/IT student, you might think that there are limited opportunities to get your first job because of the lack of big companies in India and abroad. However, this is not true in today's world where there are hundreds of online portals available for you to apply for jobs from home. These platforms make it easier for employers to find candidates and also help fresher’s get their first jobs easily.
Online job portals can be classified into three categories: large companies, small-medium size firms and startups or small businesses like restaurants, shops etc., which do not have large recruitment teams or need high-end technology skillsets like data science etc.,
But only basic IT knowledge will suffice their needs such as MS Office Suite (Word Processing & Spreadsheet), Email Client Configuration Setup & Usage etc., Basic Computer Hardware Troubleshooting & Maintenance Skills i.e how to install software on PC's & Laptops using CD/DVD Drives or USB Ports along with fixing common problems like broken keyboards (keys not working) mouse cursor not moving properly etc.,
Tips for B. Tech CSE students
- If you are a B. Tech CSE graduate and you are looking for a job in the IT industry, then this article is for you.
- The first thing that you need to do is to create your resume in a very professional manner. You should have all the details about your academic qualification, projects, internships and work experience on it during your B. Tech course. In fact, these are the things that an employer looks at first when he receives an application from students like us for recruitment purposes.
- They do not even read our resumes thoroughly unless we have mentioned everything which they expect us to mention on them; if not then never mind how good we might be at what we do but our chances of getting selected will go down drastically if they see something lacking in our applications or resumes.
These were the top 10 tips for B.Tech CS/IT Students for Their First Job which I think is useful for any college student. Now you should be in a good position to understand how to face and crack your first interview once you are out of college. You will definitely get a job if you follow all these tips and keep yourself motivated while preparing for an interview.
choosing a Program?
Talk to us about which program best suits your professional career.Enquire Now